Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chess: the Game of Kings

So I have been getting back into chess a lot lately. Towards the end of my student teaching assignment, I helped coach the HS team - and man, was that fun. Even after the assignment is over, I am still hanging out Tues/Thurs evenings with them, helping them to grow as players. And, not surprisingly, in the process I am getting back into "chess-shape" myself.

Couple of notes for anyone who plays:

1. Look me up as "dgmisal" on chess.com - I play live games there (usually with a 10-15 minute time control) and would be willing to play internet "postal" chess, too.

2. Grab a copy of Nimzovitch's "My System" for your personal reading and edification. Preferably the 21st Century Edition, I think it is called. It's blue and white, and uses algebraic notation, thank God.

3. Play as much as you can! Every chance! You only get better with practice... so do it!

Anyway, just a heads up. I have been running a lot of Pirc Defense games lately (or KID if Qpawn) with the Black pieces, but working on a White repertoire... any advice, chime in!

No comments: